Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Whirlwind week

Genelia D'souza, Hindustan Times
Email Author
New Delhi, August 25, 2010
First Published: 18:01 IST(25/8/2010)
Last Updated: 01:13 IST(26/8/2010)



The past week has disappeared in a flurry of meetings, rehearsals, shoots and interviews. What was supposed to be a much-needed break from shooting turned out to be everything but a break! I have no memory of a second that was spent in doing something utterly wasteful and utterly meaningless (which
was my plan when I decided on absconding from my film sets for a week!). Every second was accounted for something that will hopefully go on to make a beautiful bigger picture.

Sometimes I wish there were two of me. I could just as easily send across my clone to the stuff that bores the living daylights out of me and I could very well go on to the fun, more interesting tasks. Now that we are on the subject of clones, I wouldn’t actually mind a bunch of them. One of ‘me’ could scoot out in the rain to play touch football, the other one could go shopping for me, one of ‘me’ could stay home and gorge on what Mommy dearest dishes up each day and the other one could practically live in a movie theatre and watch just about everything that plays on the screens. Imagine the number of Genelias that you guys would find scurrying around. Have I just trashed the entire idea of ‘celebrity’? Hahaha!

Genelia D'souzaBut seriously, the past week made me wonder how much it is that we actors have to be available for. It’s not just about playing your part right under the eyes of your director and a hundred other people, it’s about managing and micro-managing every single day of your life and breaking it up into parts to give out to people.

So, let me enlighten you about last week, which was supposed to be my ‘holiday week’, and turned out to be something like this:

Monday: Script narration, show rehearsals, event appearance.

Tuesday: Shoot for brands, read through scripts, attend ‘unmissable’ party thrown by actor friend.

Wednesday: Write column, attend meetings, attend workshops for films signed.

Thursday: Shoot for a magazine (takes a whole day), squeeze time out for a salon, read through scripts till the wee hours.

Friday: Interviews, meetings, fittings for a show, attack scripts again and try and finish them!

Saturday: Shoot for another magazine, hit the gym, try really hard to make it for a movie with friends but can’t, attend a meeting with regards to work instead!

Sunday: Want to crash and burn but the day has been committed to a brand, so shoot all day and finally make it in time for dinner and a movie with friends — the crash and burn! :-)

Phew! Where is the time, you ask, for myself? For family, for friends? Well guys, this is MY LIFE and it’s beautiful. The camera brings me to life and anything to do with it makes me push myself to the limit and I enjoy the thrill, anxiety, appreciation and exhaustion that comes with being an actor, a celebrity. Being photographed in clothes that I would otherwise never have access to, being able to enact several different characters, being able to connect with my fans through a column, being able to reach out to my audiences on a live platform at events— all these are opportunities that I thrive on. I can never take them for granted.

While my family and friends give me wings, the fact that I’m an actor and a celebrity is the very sky in which I fly and show off my plumes. So what’s my pick then — whirlwind holidays or whirlwind weeks? I say, bring them both on! They’re all the same for me and don’t think I can do without either.

No comments:

Post a Comment